When you focus on losing weight it’s so easy to get off track – putting all that pressure on yourself just makes you want to cheat. This year I am focusing on being STRONG. Strong is the new skinny. If you focus on being strong, you will eat the foods that help you to be that way. Does ice cream make you strong? NOPE! Ask Popeye to pass the spinach.
I’m on a rest day today, but I still did my Spartan mile and because rest days are for stretching I am doing Yoga Fundamentals at Orleans Yoga and Pilates today. You can join the mile a day challenge by joining here: https://www.facebook.com/events/730199780332179/.
Here’s the information from the Spartan e-mails for today:
You can get the daily Spartan e-mails too by going to www.spartanrace.com.
Spartan WOD for 01.06.14
Day 6 of 31: January Boot Camp – Sprint Edition
Rest Day: Take a nap
Naps can restore alertness, enhance performance, and reduce mistakes and accidents. A study at NASA on sleepy military pilots and astronauts found that a 40-minute improved performance by 34% and alertness 100%.
– The National Sleep Institute
Most times you need to plan 40 minutes of intense training in your day. But sometimes you should plan 40 minutes of intense recovery.
Try scheduling a 15 minute nap into your day and see how your overall performance might improve. Plus, you’ll want to be rested for tomorrow, trust us!
Spartan FOD, 01.06.14
Food of the Day – Asparagus
Make asparagus a low calorie source of folate, potassium, and fiber in your diet. The stalks are heavy in antioxidants.
Asparagus and Garlic Sauce
by Rose Marie Jarry, elite obstacle course racer and chef for KRONOBAR
262 calories per serving
- 2 cups of white beans (cooked)
- 2 cups of coconut beverage
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable broth concentrate
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
- 2 pounds of asparagus
- 4 fresh endives
- Steam the asparagus and endives for 8 minutes. Set aside in a warm spot.
- Blend the white beans, coconut beverage, veggie broth concentrate, and garlic cloves, until you have a smooth texture. Heat in a pot on medium heat.
- Once hot, add the fresh cilantro, and your steamed asparagus and endives. Heat to desired temperature and serve.
Are you ready to join our team? We are running on Sunday at 11am. JOIN US! Sandy bottom crew (on Cape Cod we spend summer in the sand)